SUNDARBAN : GEOGRAPHICAL LOCATION

 

The Sundarban constitutes the largest delta in the entire globe formed by way of sedimentation of river Ganges & its tributaries.  About 60% of the Sundarban is comprised within Peoples Republic of Bangladesh and the rest 40% constitute the Indian Sundarban comprised within two southernmost districts, North & South 24-Parganas in the State of West Bengal.
Located at the southern margin of the Ganga delta, Sundarban represents a large ecosystem of mangrove wetland, fragile and economically potential zone. Extending between 2132" North and 2240" North Latitude and between 8805 East and 8900 East Longitude, the region is demarcated by the river Hooghly on the west, the Bay of Bengal on the south, the Ichamati-Kalindi-Raimongal rivers on the east and the Dampier-Hodges line on the north.

The area consists of Islands : 54

Land area :  about 9629 sq. km

( people inhabit 4493 sq. km, the rest is Reserve Forest )

The total number of mouzas : 1116.

 
It comprises nineteen blocks (sixteen police stations) of North and South 24-Parganas districts of the State of West Bengal.

 

North 24-Parganas Hingalganj, Hasnabad, Sandeshkhali-I, Sandeshkhali-II, Haroa and Minakhan  
  South 24-Parganas Sagar, Namkhana, Kakdwip, Patharpratima, Mathurapur-I, Mathurapur-II, Joynagar-I, Joynagar-II, Kultali, Canning-I, Canning-II, Basanti and Gosaba  

1   2   3

 

Tender || Notice || Feedback || Annual Plan

For best view Internet Explorer 6.0 or above (1024x768 pixel)
Copyright 2008 WBEIDC Ltd. All Rights Reserved.